The Power of Planning

Have you ever heard the saying “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail?” Well I heard it first back in Undergrad and it’s stuck with me ever since. Although it’s a little dramatic in a sense, I find this statement to be very true based on my personal experiences. There have been many times where I have planned well and excelled , and a few times more than I am proud of that I’ve failed to plan and as a result was taught a few life lessons.

Before we jump into the Power of Planning, let’s talk a little about tools that make planning easy. In this technological era that we live in our smart phones 📱 are wired with calendars 📆 , reminders, synced emails 📧, and apps that were all created to make managing ones life a little easier. Yet, how many of us actually use them? In addition to these resources, there are also planners 📖, notebooks, and to-do lists 📝 that were also created to help keep track of events, dates, etc. Yet again, how many of us actually use them? In all honesty, If the only thing you take away from this post is the fact that ‘YOU SHOULD USE A PLANNER,’ then my job here is done 😉!

So What’s the Power of Planning and Why Should I Plan?

According to The Institute for Organization Management, research has determined that only 3% of all adult citizens in the United States take the time and effort to plan for the future (2012). Yet, those 3% accomplish five to ten times more in their lifetimes than do the other 97%. Furthermore, individuals who take the time to determine, with clarity, what they want to achieve in life are much more likely to accomplish their goals and objectives than those who leave their lives to chance. 💡 So statistically speaking, there is power in planning!

Genuinely, I want all students to succeed, as do most Professors and Teachers. Therefore, within the syllabus provided on the first day of class the tools that are needed for your success are provided (dates and assignment descriptions). However, the choices made after receiving your syllabi are up to you. As an Instructor, I tell my students often “PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY,” and below are a few tips as to how.

Tips for Students

  1. Purchase a planner…just as writing your goals on paper is advised for many reasons, there is something remarkable about writing down your obligations, meetings, appointments, etc in a planner.
  2. Take your syllabi and transfer due dates, quizzes, and test for each class into your MONTHLY calendar…I highly recommend *COLOR CODING 🔑 each class and their associated dates, as well as personal activities/events, and meetings, etc., for organizational purposes.
  3. Create an unscheduled To-Do list for the week…in your planner document personal, professional, and household tasks, etc., that are to be completed within the set time span as a personal reminder.
  4. Set daily goals for yourself…these goals not only keep you motivated, but they also keep you moving towards accomplishing your larger goals.

Not only does planning remind you of the goals that you have set to complete, but it also provides a course of action to meeting those goals in a straightforward way. The most remarkable aspects of planning to me is being able to check off tasks that have been completed and being able to look back to see how much progress has been made towards my goals. Trust me, the sense of accomplishment that results from planning well is unmatched 😉. Follow the tips provided and let’s conquer our goals!

Motivational Scriptures 🙏🏽

Proverbs 21:5- “The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.”
Proverbs 24:27- “Prepare your work outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and after that build your house.”
Proverbs 16:9- “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.”
*I’ve been motivated by each of these scriptures and I struggled to select one in particular for this week, so I encourage you to be motivated by each of them in your planning process.*

Sincerely,

Rachael

Source
2012.Institute for Organization Management. U.S. Camber of Commerce Foundation.

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close Me
Looking for Something?
Search:
Post Categories: